Renovating or building a house can be an incredibly stressful experience. Thats why here at ConstructionHQ we pride ourselves on only offering the best, locally operated construction companies near you. Each business goes through a careful screening process to ensure they will provide you with the best services on the market.
Before you begin your build, it is important that you have a basic understanding of the process and what type of house will be best for you.
- Crawlspace – Elevates living space off the ground; perfect for damp regions.
- Basement – Basement beneath the house on a concrete slab.
- Slab – A concrete pad, reinforced with steel, covers the area on which the house sits.
- Pile and Girder – The walls are supported by a column of reinforced concrete, or steel, drilled into the ground.
Types of Wall
- Traditional Solid Masonry – Older houses tend to have solid exterior walls. Internal loadbearing walls are usually also masonry, but may be wood.
- Wood – Exterior walls are constructed of wood, and clad in vinyl, masonry, or wood.
- Modern Solid Masonry – Some newer houses have solid exterior walls, often built with different materials to their traditional counterparts.
- Masonry with Cavity – Exterior walls have an inner and an outer face, held together by metal ties with a cavity between them.
Types of Roof
- Gable -The gable roof is characterised by the triangular wall shape formed where the pitched roof surfaces meet along an apex known as a ridge.
- Hip – On a hipped roof, the gable is effectively cut back at ridge level to provide a triangular sloping roof.
- Flat – A flat roof looks level, but has a slight pitch to allow water to run off the surface.
Construction HQ is the number one directory for construction companies in NZ. Find the best builders from Taupo, to Ohakune, to all the way down in Otago using our website.